The Steps And Benefits Of An AC Tune Up
You might hear people talking about getting regular service, inspections, or “Tune-ups” for their air conditioning. Just like taking your car for an oil change every so many miles, regular service for your air conditioner will keep it running efficiently, without dying prematurely. In this article we will go over some of the key points of an AC tune-up, and what the benefits are!
What does an AC Tune Up include?
An AC tune-up is like a tune-up for your car- it helps it run its best and deliver the performance- and comfort you want. During a service and tune-up, our HVAC technicians go through our 14 point AC Maintenance checklist:
- We measure the amperage and voltage of the blower motor and run capacitor
- We check the condenser fan blade
- We replace/Clean electronic filters***
- We check Evaporator*
- We check defrost board/electric wiring in the condenser (heat pump only)
- We check refrigerant charge**
- We check Operating pressures
- We check the condenser fan motor
- We check contractor points
- We check pressure switches
- We check and clean the condenser coil
- We check your ductwork and recommend duct cleaning if needed
- We tighten caps and ports
- We measure static pressure
Are AC Tune-Ups Worth It?
When your AC system is operating, it’s constantly exposed to dust, dirt and moisture from condensation. This mixture of dust, dirt and moisture can be a perfect home to promote the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria in your ductwork, or around critical components of your heating and cooling system, including the evaporator and condenser coils. This can lead to additional corrosion and significantly shorten the life of your system.
Regular service will also get ahead of any problems. There are a lot of moving parts and different components working in your AC system. And air conditioner tune up will extend the life of your AC, and get ahead of any air conditioning repairs you may need.
With new AC systems costing more than $5,000, preventative maintenance can really save you a lot of money in the long run, while also keeping your home as comfortable as it should be.
Read More: 6 Common Reasons For Uneven Temperatures In Your Home
Benefits Of AC Maintenance
- Fewer Breakdowns
- Lower Energy Bills
- Better Cooling
- Peace of Mind
This cooling season, you will want to schedule routine AC service. All of the procedures included in tune-up help ensure that when the hot weather hits, your air conditioning systems will work well, and more efficiently, which will save you money in utility bills! Catching issues like clogged drain lines early can also prevent other slow-moving but expensive-to-repair damage to your home.
While most homeowners can clean or replace dirty filters themselves, it’s best to have a qualified technician perform a regular tune up to make sure your system is functioning at its best. There are electrical connections, refrigerant levels to check, and much more than just changing an air filter that goes into your annual ac tune up.
More Frequently-Asked Questions About Air Conditioner Maintenance
- Are AC Tune-Ups Necessary? AC Tune-ups are part of the regular maintenance you should do to your home systems to keep them running and performing well, and to keep them from failing unexpectedly, leading to costly repairs. Your AC system should last about 10+ years, and without regular service, you can expect that number to drop.
- How Often Does an AC Need a Tune-Up? We recommend getting your Ac tune up done at least once a year here in the Boise area, and have your heating system checked once a year as well- that’s 2 visits a year to keep both your heating and cooling system operating at peak efficiency.
- How Long Does An AC Tune-Up Take? If everything is functioning well and there are no problems, a typical AC Tune up can take about an hour or so to complete. If there are some problems found, it might take a little longer.
Read More: Increased HVAC Standards For 2023
AC Tune-Ups and Air Conditioner Maintenance in Boise, ID
Snowflake Air and our award-winning experienced HVAC technicians are available to help make sure your HVAC system is ready to go for the warm weather. You can read about our system maintenance plans here and get your system tuned up for as little as $150. You can also save money by getting both a heating and air conditioning tune up service plan, making sure both systems run great and keep your family perfectly comfortable all year long. We look forward to working with you!