You may have heard that air conditioning can have negative effects on your health. This may be alarming to you, but is it really necessary to give up the comforts you enjoy because of air conditioning? We’ll take a look at the surprising effects that air conditioning can have on your health, both positive and negative, and then give you tips to ensure that your family and home are safe and comfortable.
Benefits of Air Conditioning
- Increases comfort
- Decreases the negative impact of heat on intellect and physical activity
- Lowers the risk of dehydration due to excessive sweating
- Improves job performance
- Safer for the elderly
- Decreases the risk of dangerous heart problems due to heat
- Reduces the number of insects and parasites in the area
- Can improve air quality if properly maintained
- For more in-depth information, read “What You’re Missing if you don’t Have Air Conditioning.”
Concerns with Air Conditioning
- Can make skin and mucous membranes dry
- Can irritate the throat, nose, and eyes
- Drastic changes in temperature can affect the respiratory system
- Can circulate and transmit bacteria, viruses, and allergens if not maintained
- Increases energy consumption
Air Conditioning Solutions
Clearly, air conditioning can be both positive and negative, but for most of us, we wouldn’t think of giving it up. So what can we do? There are several solutions to some of the risk factors of air conditioning. The first, and most important, is that air conditioning systems need to be properly installed and maintained. If you do this, many of the concerns go away. An HVAC system that is running well, inspected and cleaned yearly, and the filter is changed regularly presents very little risk. Instead of worrying about bacteria and allergens, a clean well-maintained system can actually improve indoor air quality for you and your family.
To compensate for the fact that blowing air and changing temperatures can dry out your skin and cause nose and throat irritation, you can consider adding a humidifier to your home to keep the air moist and at optimal levels (60-70% humidity is recommended). Air conditioning does not have to be a health concern if precautions are followed.
Meridian Air Conditioner Repair
If you need your air conditioner inspected, serviced, or repaired, the experts at Snowflake Air can help. We specialize in home heating and cooling systems. Keeping our customers comfortable is our business, and we do that by guaranteeing same-day service or you will not be charged a service fee. For excellent service when you need it most, trust Snowflake Air for all your Meridian HVAC needs.